Friday, May 28, 2010

52 Weeks To a Better Genealogy State Archives

Almost six years ago I was invited to the grand opening of the worlds first Digital Archives and I wrote an article on it here. I was invited because I had supplied several databases for them to put online. The actual Digital Archives is located in Cheney, Washington about 30 miles from my home in Spokane, so a lot of EWGS members have went there to volunteer to scan and index files, but most of the people indexing are sitting in their homes somewhere indexing. The Family History Library people came to Cheney to see the digital archives and the work done by volunteers and they went back to Salt Lake City and started scanning data and asking for volunteers to help indexing. If you have noticed very few of the databases for Washington have been indexed by the Family History Indexing projects, yet a lot of Washington indexes are available on the Family History website.
I was also invited to the five year anniversary of the Digital Archives and wrote an article on the festivities.
Recently I wrote a new article on the Digital Archives and how easy it is to correct errors in the indexing and it is located here.
Do I use the Digital Archives, you bet I check it almost daily, and have corrected a lot of indexing errors, and helped indexing several of the databases in the archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails